John D. Shier, RN, PhD

John Shier is a Registered Nurse and Doctor of Philosophy who entered the profession of nursing at the young age of sixty and after having two prior successful careers.

Prior to his nursing career and his work as "ThatGuyNurse," John was an Assistant Professor of Philosophy at the University of Wisconsin - Green Bay for fourteen years. John also served eighteen years as the Executive Director of the Lake Michigan Area Agency on Aging as well as providing leadership as the Executive Director of the United Way of Brown County.

Contact John…

John D. Shier RN, Ph.D.
2790 Elm Tree Hill
Apt. 330
Green Bay, WI 54313

Follow on Twitter:

Like on Facebook:

For Event Scheduling…

Please contact:

Meredith Bartos
Event Coordinator
Prophit Marketing

Buy The Book!

From, “Notes From thatguynurse: Choose Now, Live Later”

“A Common Hospice Experience:
Tuesday afternoon.  My hospice social work partner and I head out of town to a rural nursing home to do an admission assessment.  We arrive and find that our patient is already in the process of active dying.  She is unresponsive.  Her legs are mottled.  Her forehead is burning with fever and her hands and feet are icy cold.  We hear the death rattles in her lungs which have filled with fluid.
We proceed to do our assessment and fill in the necessary paperwork to accomplish admission to hospice.  All the while we are doing this, we glance at each other and shake our heads over the thought that had we been called weeks or even months before so much suffering for both our patient and for her family could have been averted.  However, the family had kept holding out hope that her situation might improve.  It was only when it was completely clear that death was close was hospice called.
We finished our work, packed up and headed back to the car.  A voice called, “Nurse, come back.”  We returned.  Our patient was dead.  I then did the last work of hospice.  I prepared the body to be delivered to the funeral home.  l called her doctor to pronounced the death.  I called the coroner.  I inventoried her medications to return them to the hospice offices for disposal.   I gave what consolation I could to her family.
We left.”

Comments are closed.